The mission of the Office of Latino Ministry is to proclaim the Good News of Jesus Christ by developing ministry structures and networks that enhance Latino ministry, through relationship building and collaboration, and by being full, active and prophetic participants in the life of the Church and society so as to create vibrant intercultural communities.
The Office provides formation, evangelization, family life and youth programs designed to teach the Catholic faith, strengthen families, and instill Catholic values.
More than 115,000, or over 60% of the Latinos living in the area are Catholic. There are 22 parishes in the Archdiocese that provide Latino Ministry.
Here are some highlights of those reached by formation and evangelization programs in 2015:
- Latino Basic Theology Institute: In 2015, some 30 Latino parish leaders attended this 9 month program providing Basic Theology training
- Latino Biblical Institute: In 2015, some 60 Latino parish leaders attended this 9 month program providing Biblical training
- Latino Catechetical Institute: In 2015, some 90 Latino Parish leaders participated in this 2 year program, meeting 3 hours a month for 9 months a year, receiving instruction in Catholic Catechism
- Latino Pastoral Leadership Institute: In 2015, some 40 Latino parish leaders participated in this 6 hour a month, 9 month program
- Latino Minister Catechist Summer Program: In 2015, some 120 Latino parish Catechism instructors each received 35 hours of training
- Marriage Preparation: In 2015, 100 couples participated in marriage preparation retreats
- Youth Programs: In 2015, over 1,000 Catholic youth participated
- Latino Family Day: In 2015, over 3,000 attended
- Catholic Latino Men’s and Women’s Nights: In 2015, over 130 men and over 150 women attended these quarterly services
For more information on this CSAF Collective Ministry, and the programs and events that the Office of Latino Ministry provides, click – http://csafspm.org/whom-you-help/latino-ministry Click – http://www.archspm.org/departments/oficina-ministerio-latino for a listing of the 22 parishes serving the Latino community.