Christmas is quickly approaching and it is at this point that many people rush to get presents purchased and wrapped, cookies baked, decorations up, and so many more details that come with celebrating the holidays.
A good question to ask yourself on a daily basis during Advent is this: “Am I preparing for the coming of Jesus today as much as I am preparing for the Christmas holiday itself?” While the celebration is an incredible time with friends and family—something God wants for us very much—it is so important to remind each other that the reason we have the ability to celebrate is because of Mary’s “yes” and the love from our Father in Heaven to have given us all the gift of His Son.
Check out the Catholic Services Appeal Foundation’s List of “Top 5” activities to do with your loved ones to keep Christ at the center during this Christmas preparation and Advent season!
- Light an Advent wreath each day and offer up a small prayer during this time
- Think of a way to give a gift to someone whom you have no relation with—a homeless man or woman, an elderly person, a family in need etc.
- Go out Christmas caroling with a group of people to spread joy to your community
- Read and reflect on the readings from the book of Isaiah.
- Set up a Nativity scene somewhere in your home that catches people’s attention—a simple, subtle reminder of the reason for the Christmas